According to a study published in the Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, Sini powder, a herbal formula used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), is a natural alternative to antidepressants. The study authors observed the anti-depressive effects of the herbal formula on stress-related mechanisms in rats.
- Sini powder (SP) is a traditional Chinese herbal formula that is often used to treat individuals with depression. However, the underlying mechanisms of this traditional medication remain unknown.
- For the study, researchers observed lab rats that were given SP extract for seven days.
- The rats displayed a notable increase in swimming time, as well as a reduction in immobility time, in a forced swimming test in a dose-dependent manner. The researchers noted that there weren’t any changes in locomotion among the rats.
- The study authors posited that the herbal formulation administered to the rats can be linked to the possible modulation of the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis.
- Data from the study also suggests that a single pretreatment of SP extract could help minimize increased serum corticosterone and plasma adrenocorticotropin levels that occur due to acute elevated platform stress.
- A single pretreatment of SP extract could also help boost the messenger RNA (mRNA) expression of hippocampal glucocorticoid receptors in individuals with depression.
The researchers concluded that based on the study results, Sini powder can be used as anti-stress medication and that it can help people with depression manage their symptoms.
You can read more research findings about natural alternatives to antidepressants at Mind.news.
Wei S-S, Yang H-J, Huang J-W, Lu X-P, Peng L-F, Wang Q-G. TRADITIONAL HERBAL FORMULA SINI POWDER EXTRACT PRODUCES ANTIDEPRESSANT-LIKE EFFECTS THROUGH STRESS-RELATED MECHANISMS IN RATS. Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines. 2016;14(8):590–598. DOI: 10.1016/S1875-5364(16)30069-3
Continue at: http://chinesemedicine.news/2018-09-27-evaluating-the-anti-depressive-effects-of-a-tcm-herbal-formula.html
The text above is owned by the site above referred.
Here is only a small part of the article, for more please follow the link