- Communication plays an important role in the success and failure of an organization. The art of expressing one’s ideas and thoughts clearly is called as effective communication. Individuals need to communicate effectively at the workplace for better transparency and clarity. Not only effective communication helps in correct transfer of information but also in decision making.
- Be very clear as to what you expect form your fellow workers. Mention all the details and do cross check whether the other person has noted it correctly or not. Do not expect the other person to understand everything on his own. Don’t blame him afterwards.
- Avoid using derogatory sentences or foul words against anyone at the workplace. One should maintain the decorum of the organization. It is better to avoid people rather than fighting with them.
- Employees should depend more on written modes of communication. Communicate through Emails as records are available even later on. The mails must be marked to all the related individuals with a cc to the superiors for them to know what is happening around. Make sure the mails are self explanatory. Don’t write colourful and casual mails.
- Develop the habit of using planners, notepads and organizers. It is practically not possible for an individual to remember everything. One must note down important tasks against deadlines to avoid forgetting things. Be organized. Use a desktop calendar and keep it right in front of your eyes.
- Never play with words. Don’t try to confuse the other person. Pass on the information in its desired form.
- During meetings, seminars and presentations, don’t just speak for the front benchers. One must be audible even to the person sitting on the last row. Neither speak too fast nor too slow. Be confident while you speak. One should be loud and clear. Make sure you are understood by all.
- Never use a fake accent at workplace. Be careful where to use the punctuation marks.
- Employees must not enter meeting room or board room without pen and a notepad. Jot down your queries at one place and ask only when the other person has finished his speech or presentation.
- Do not interfere when others are speaking. Let them first finish their conversation. Wait for your turn to speak.
- One should never shout at the workplace. Shouting and conflicts spoil the ambience at the workplace. Handle the issues intelligently and a little diplomatically. Avoid arguing with anyone as it leads to no solution. It always pays to be soft-spoken at workplace.
- While interacting over the phone, make sure you spell out the words for better clarity. Use simple words to denote alphabets like t as in tango, a as in alpha and so on. Chances of misunderstandings are very less in such cases.
- Don’t chew anything while you are speaking over the phone. Avoid laughing or giggling.
- Be a patient listener. Listen to what the second party has to say. Don’t jump to conclusions.
- Be very careful about the content of your speech. Make sure your words do not hurt any of your fellow workers.
Continue at: http://www.managementstudyguide.com/communication-at-workplace.htm
The text above is owned by the site above referred.
Here is only a small part of the article, for more please follow the link